10/08/2008

"an inflexible language still in its formative stage"

In AllAfrica.com, 7 October 2008:

People should help enrich the language with changes that allow it to develop because any language that does not adopt new words and terminologies, dies.

I cannot speak French and I believe will never speak it. Years ago I tried to learn it but my teacher would tell me to repeat, repeat and repeat pronouncing all the words to the point that my mouth would become so dry, I swear I would spit powdered saliva.

How did she expect the son of an African to twist his tongue trying to speak like a Frenchman from Paris. The last straw was that all nouns had gender; masculine, feminine and if not even gay or straight.

You know, stuff like the trouser is feminine and the blouse masculine. I decide that I will not study an inflexible language still in its formative stage.

I believe the reason English is spoken more widely is its flexibility and tolerance. If every English speaker was expected to speak Cockney like Londoners, I guess people would give a vote of no confidence in it.
(...)
French is on its death bed and will soon follow its father the Late Latin unless its speakers allow it to be flexible and not expect everybody to speak it like a Parisian.

Emma Kabanda, Kigali, Rwanda

No comments: